05 Aug High Protein Vegan Snacks
This is a list of super easy and healthy high-protein vegan snacks for plant-based people. Snacks in general are important (see below!), but snacks that contain protein are particularly mission-critical for vegans.
Building a Better Snack
Why Snacks Matter
We need healthy snacks for…
- maintaining energy throughout your day
- recovering more quickly after workouts
- maintaining a normal, healthy metabolism
- having an emergency back-up if your day gets hectic and you can’t sit down for a full meal!
Why Protein Matters in Plant-Based Snacks
It’s necessary that vegan snacks contain protein because it…
- helps stabilize blood sugar throughout the day, which in turn helps you feel satisfied and more stable
- helps vegans meet their daily total protein needs, which can be harder (but still totally possible) to meet if you are entirely plant-based
- if you’re pregnant, breastfeeding, physically active, or struggling with an illness, protein needs increase further!
Protein-Rich Vegan Snack “Recipes” & Ideas
- Nuts/seeds + a fruit
- Nut ideas: peanuts, cashews, almonds, brazil nuts, pistachios, hazelnuts, mixed nuts, etc.
- Seed ideas: sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds (or pepitas),
- Fruit ideas: grapes, cherries, pear, apple, banana, berries, orange, 2-3 clementines/mandarins, etc.
- Whole-grain tortilla + almond butter + banana
- Instant oatmeal + peanut butter powder (or normal peanut butter) + chia seeds + cinnamon
- Store-bought bars: Luna + Kind (*check ingredients for potential dairy, but some flavors are dairy-free)
- Homemade bars: 3 Ingredient PB / PB + Quinoa / many more recipes online!
- Energy balls
- Trail mix
- Rice cakes + vegan pesto + hemp seeds
- Crispy Roasted Chickpeas
- Edamame + sesame seeds + soy sauce (can buy frozen and steam in microwave at home)
- Cucumbers slices + hummus + olives
- Soymilk-based yogurt + topping (high protein cereal like Kashi Go Lean, frozen cherries, dairy-free chocolate chips, etc.)
- Lentil salad
- Smoothie (just ensure there’s some protein in there – you can get this through nut butter, milk (soy/hemp/pea), plant-based yogurt, or vegan protein powder)
- Almond butter dates
- Hot chocolate or chocolate milk with plant-based milk (soy, pea, hemp)
- A cup of quinoa porridge topped with sunflower seed butter and maple syrup