04 Dec Easy Salmon Cakes Recipe
No doubt you’re already aware that salmon is an incredibly nutritious food. Salmon has the benefit of being rich in omega-3 and vitamin D, yet very low in mercury. This is particularly a concern if you’re pregnant or breastfeeding.
The challenge with salmon in pregnancy is that some of its usual preparations – like sushi (raw) and lox (smoked) – are not advised, due to concern for foodborne illness. And while fresh salmon is delicious, it can get pricey or even repetitive, if you’re eating it often.
Enter these easy salmon cakes as a solution. Thanks to canned salmon, these cakes are still packed with salmon’s benefits, yet still affordable and easy to prepare in advance. Try them fried or baked, as a meal or as a snack!
Easy Salmon Cakes
- 1 can (14.75 oz) canned salmon or substitute 2.5 smaller (6 oz) cans
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup onion finely chopped
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Drain salmon well. In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients except for olive oil.
- Form mixture into patties.
- To fry: Heat oil in a frying pan. Cook each patty until brown on each side.
- To bake: preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Bake for 20 minutes, turning at the halfway point.